Start a new topic

"internal server error when processing your push configuration." when uploading prod APN cert

Im getting this message and nothing more when trying to deploy push service to production. Any ideas where I can get more info as to what the exact error is?

"There was an internal server error when processing your push configuration."

Here is the output from devtools

{"code":"PushConfigurationFailure","description":"There was an internal server error when processing your push configuration.","debug":{}}
Good Evening Arizqi:

Did you get any errors when you were uploading your apple push certificate in the console?

I dragged and dropped my certificate in the console, entered my cert password and clicked on save and I get this internal server error and no other information.

Can you check the network tab within your browser if you're using chrome? There might be a 401 or 403 or some other error code that's being returned. If we can't resolve it this way I might move this over to email support and ask you to send over the file in question so we can confirm it as not working.


I get a 422 (Unprocessable Entity) when I upload a .pem file and I get a 500 when I upload a .p12 file.
I am uploading a .p12 and am also getting a 500 error. The server response is:

{"code":"PushConfigurationFailure","description":"There was an internal server error when processing your push configuration.","debug":{}}

I should note that I am migrating from UA and this is the same certificate that UA is currently using successfully.
I am being hit by the same problem. It is a dev certificate, and the PKCS#12 store could be imported into a fresh application, but updating the certificate was not possible.

Have you guys resolved the issue? If yes - how?



I have not been able to solve this problem. The problem seems to be on Kinvey's side because I'm getting 500s when updating the certificate. Hopefully Kinvey can resolve this quickly.
@FlorianBruckner‌ , @arizqi‌ : This is actually a very common issue that comes up when people skip a step in the Urban Airship documentation. Essentially what happens is that during the creation of your .p12 key, you are either missing the private key, or you are exporting your private key. In either of these cases Apple will reject your key.

If you go over to: and search the page for "Keychain" you should see instructions about exporting the .p12 file. Assuming that these steps are carried out exactly as stated, you should be able to export a .p12 file from your public key, which will then be accepted by apple (and by extension Urban Airship and Kinvey).

If you have any other questions about this, please let me know.

I may be missing something in the instructions. I have generated the certificate from Apple, downloaded it and clicked on it. It gets added to my key chain.

![]( "")

I then right click on the certificate and not the private key, click "Export Apple Development iOS ..." and save it as a .p12 file.

![]( "")

At this point I drag and drop the certificate to the Kinvey push console and click Save and still get a failure.

Can you provide some other instructions that I can try and can you also try reproducing this on your end?


I am pretty sure the PKCS#12 keystore is correct on my side, as that very same PKCS#12 keystore was accepted when added to a new application.

Further I'm a bit confused with your reference to public/private key - the UA documentation says, to export the certificate WITH private key. Are you suggesting to export the certificate WITHOUT private key when updating? If so - how would one handle the situation when a completely new certificate needs to be generated because the private key was compromised?

@Damien‌ ,

I've reviewed the instructions and I did follow them. As I noted originally I have a UA account and I was able to use the same certificate on UA directly.
To everyone above:

If you run the upload in chrome, right click > inspect element go to the network stack. When you get a 500 error, click on that. What is the reason that you're getting returned for the network error? I'm not 100% sure how to do this in firefox / safari but there is a similar process there.

When we tested this internally with an invalid cert we get "Apple Rejected", which is what I'm expecting you guys may be getting. Where there is an increasing volume of people experiencing this bug, it's possible that there may be an issue with our management API. Let me talk to some people and update this, in the mean time if you guys can complete the above and screenshot it for me that would be really helpful.

It is the same error that @arizqi was already reporting.

![]( "")

![]( "")

Same in Safari and Firefox. Note that I redacted the Cookie and Authorisation header, they are not missing.
Login or Signup to post a comment